F C Howgate was the architect of the Congregational (later United Reformed) Church, on nearby Vernon Road. This street was built in 1898 on the grounds of Portobello House, the home of Vice-Admiral Perry Mayne in the mid-18thCentury, which had been knocked down five years earlier. Howgate also designed the houses in the neighbouring Howgate Road and Oaklands Road. The church, which is noted for its Doulton terracotta work and plaques, has now closed but is being developed as a community centre.
7 total views, 1 views today