Named after William Amherst, 3rd Earl Amherst, later Viscount Holmesdale (March 16, 1836 – August 14, 1910). He served as the local MP as a Conservative of the, now defunct, West Kent Constituency, from 1859 to 1868. Before his political career, Lord Holmesdale served in the British Army fighting in the Battle of Balaclava, the Battle of Inkerman (where he was severely wounded) and the Siege of Sevastopol during the Crimean War. The road has always been spelt without the ‘l’. Originally known as Brick Kiln Lane, after the brick making works that were once here from the 1800s.
163 total views, 1 views today