Named after the local district, Higham Hill which means a village on a hill, from the Old English words hēah and hām. It was first recorded in the Domesday survey of 1086 as Hecham. By 1333 it had become Heigham and in 1501 Heighamhill. The Station element of the name is unusual because the road does not lead directly from or to Highams Park train station, but it is likely to reveal the early ambitions of the developers for it to have done so.
173 total views, 1 views today