Heron Road, CR0

Place Name

Named after the Heron family, who held Addiscombe as a large country estate during the Tudor period. East Croydon Community Organisation (ECCO) say that the estate included land north of Addiscombe Lane roughly from Canning Road to Ashburton Road, though, ironically, not the land on which the modern Heron Road was built. The family also owned the 14thCentury Croydon rectory and, as such, were entitled to be buried at the parish church. Sir Nicholas Heron, who died in 1586, is interred in the parish church. ECCO continues: “Several items relating to the family survived the fire that destroyed this building in 1866 and can be found in the present parish church, including two shields (on the north wall) and a brass of seven daughters (on the south wall) from the memorial to Thomas Heron, who died in 1544, and his wife Elizabeth; a brass plate of William Heron, who died in 1563, and his wife Alice in the north chancel wall; and, three stone shields from the tomb of Sir Nicholas Heron, who died in 1566 at the west end of the church. By the 17thCentury, the estate no longer belonged to the family.”

 

 200 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *