Directional, as this led to Hastings on the Kent coast. This road was rebuilt after the enclosure of Bromley Common in 1821. It was originally called Turnpike Road because it was built and maintained by the New Cross Turnpike Trust, in effect a toll road, with money being used to repair and maintain the highway. The tollgate was at the top of Mason Hill just outside of Bromley. Those paying included money coaches, goods wagons and drovers driving animals to market. Landowners who allowed travellers to bypass the road over their land to avoid the toll could be fined.
102 total views, 1 views today