Hartland Abbey, in Hartland, Devon, is a former abbey built in 1157 and consecrated by Bishop Bartholomew of Exeter in 1160 as a monastery for Augustine canons. It takes its name from its locality, which presumably derives from the Old English word heort meaning deer. In 1539 the abbey became the last monastery in England to be dissolved by Henry VIII during his land grab against the Roman Catholic Church. Like many of the roads on the St Helier’s estate this is named after British monasteries and abbeys in remembrance of the area’s historic ownership by Westminster Abbey. The road names are in alphabetical order, of which Aberconway Road in the north west of the estate is first.
164 total views, 1 views today