Laid out over the site of Adams Mews. Reverend John Hampden Gurney (August 15, 1802 – March 8, 1862) was the well-connected and highly regarded rector of St Mary’s, Bryanston Square from 1847 until his death. He was the son of Sir John Gurney, Baron of the Exchequer in Serjeant’s Inn. After studying law at Cambridge University, he took a change in direction and was ordained by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1827. He spent time as an assistant curate of Lutterworth, in Leicestershire; and later became chaplain of the poor law union. He was described as “a most earnest and popular preacher, and published many of his sermons, as well as the lectures which he composed for the Young Men’s Christian Association.” He died at his rectory house, 63 Gloucester Place, Portman Square. He also had a school named after him.
151 total views, 1 views today