A misspelling of Hallifax. It is named after Sir Thomas Hallifax who lived in Chase Side and was mentioned in the Enfield Chase Enclosure Act of 1777. Originally from Barnsley he came to London before finishing his apprenticeship as a grocer. Once in the capital he became a clerk at John Martin & Co bank, where he quickly rose through the ranks to become chief clerk and in 1753 he left the job to found a banking house in partnership with Joseph Vere, a banker, and Richard Glyn, a city merchant. He held several positions in the City first as an alderman and later as one of the three sheriffs and in 1776 Lord Mayor. In 1784 he became an MP voted in unopposed for the seat of Aylesbury however his record of just one vote and no speeches earned him the nickname the Dumb Knight. He died on February 7, 1789 leaving an estimated fortune of £100,000. The Chase Side property was part of the Gordon House estate with the road developed in the early 1870s. In 1879 there was an outbreak of typhoid in this and adjoining roads.
89 total views, 1 views today