Named after father and son Henry and Neil Haig. In 1870 Haig senior (1818 – 1897) bought an estate in Plaistow, which was a triangle of land between Barking Road, Boundary Road and Tunmarsh Lane. Haig, a distant descendant of an ancient Scottish family, the Haigs of Bemersyde (Roxburgh), named the estate after his ancestral home. The estate was developed a few years after his death by his son Neil W. Haig (1868 – 1926). Its development coincided with the borough’s first council houses, some 400 of which were built at Stratford, Plaistow, and Canning Town between 1899 and 1905.
54 total views, 1 views today