In reference to Hack Bridge which has served the area since medieval times. It was first mentioned sometime around 1235 as Hakebruge, Hakebrygge in 1360, and Hakebregge in 1429. The name comes from the Old English words haca, probably referring to the area of land between the two streams of the River Wandle which merge just upstream from the modern bridge, and brycg, the Old English word for a bridge. Today this is part of the B277 between Carshalton and Hackbridge, which is also named after the bridge.
199 total views, 1 views today