This road gets its name from Grovebury Priory, also known as La Grave or Grava, which was established in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. It was founded in 1164 after Henry II granted the royal manor of Leighton to the abbess and convent of Fontevraud. It was shut down in 1414 as part of Henry IV’s suppression of alien (French) priories after his claim to the French throne led to war. This road like many others in the area is named after a former religious house in reference to the nearby Lesnes Abbey.
119 total views, 1 views today