Grace Alice Purkis (born 1862) was the daughter of Essex-born builder Samuel Purkis who one year after his daughter’s birth leased some land in the area from a former grammar school, founded by Edward Wilson in 1615, with the intention of building 70 houses on it within five years. He named three other streets on the estate after his daughters, Grace, Dagmar and Maude. Prior to its development this land was fields just to east of the village of Camberwell, as shown on John Rocque’s 1741 map of the area. See also Grace’s Road, Maude Road and Dagmar Road.
7 total views, 1 views today