Named after Godstow Abbey, in Oxfordshire. The site was given to the founder Edith, widow of Sir William Launceline, in 1133 by John of St John, for Benedictine nuns. The abbey was suppressed in 1539 under the Second Act of Dissolution when it was converted into a house. The property was badly damaged in the English Civil War and fell into disrepair. The stone was used by the locals for their own buildings. This street like many of the others locally is named after a former religious house in reference to the nearby ruin of Lesnes Abbey.
13 total views, 1 views today