Directional, the road leading from Kenley to Godstone, in Surrey. The village of Godstone within the Anglo-Saxon administrative division of Tandridge hundred, was originally called Walkingstead, meaning Wolcen’s place. But by 1248 it was being referred to as Godeston meaning Goda’s farm or village. Goda being the daughter of Aethelred The Unready. She died in 1055 but the Domesday Book of 1086 records the parish as being held by her husband, Count Eustace II of Boulogne. But others have suggested that it was already being listed as Cudeston and 20 years later, in 1173, as Codstune suggesting a farmstead of a man called Cōd, as with the Cotswolds, meaning the high-forest land of a man called Cōd. By the start of the 19thCentury stone was quarried at Godstone.
120 total views, 1 views today