Glendun Road, W3

Place Name

Named after the former Acton Golf Club’s club-house which was called Glendun and knocked down in the 1920s when the course was bought for development by the local council. The name itself came from a 17thCentury family mansion. It stood in the middle of what was then a village along with its own blacksmith’s forge. The parkland golf course covered nearly 60 acres and measured 5,870 yards with a bogey score of 78. On December 3, 1896 the Dundee Courier reported: “A New Sunday Golf Club – The latest addition to the metropolitan golf links is that at East Acton. An 18-hole course, laid out by Tom Hogg of Richmond Golf Club, was opened last Saturday. Sunday play will be allowed as a matter of course, except by ladies, 100 of whom are to be admitted to the club. So many applications have been received that there is little chance of joining without an entrance fee. The Hon. Secretary is Mr C E Melville, Acton Golf Club.” It features here as one of a cluster of streets whose names were inspired by golfing references after they were laid out on the site of the former Acton Golf Course, which was founded in 1896 on land belonging to the King-Church family. In 1919 Acton Urban District Council made a compulsory purchase order for the acquisition of 59 acres of land owned by Major F W King-Church to be developed for housing. Over the years development expanded and the course was eventually completely built over. In early March 1920 it was reported: “Sunday marked the closing down of Acton Golf Links after 24 years. There was a big muster of members for the final days sport in ideal conditions. Afterwards, members were seen packing up their belongings and taking them home. It was estimated that over 200 removed their clubs on Sunday. On Saturday night a final dinner was held to mark the occasion, the chair being occupied by the captain G W Hall. About 58 members thoroughly enjoyed the items of an excellent menu provided by Mr & Mrs Hitchings, club stewards. During an interval the whole party adjourned to the links to vent their feelings. Effigies representing the ‘Superior Landlords’ were lit amid cheering. The party then returned to enjoy a capital programme of music.”

 6 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *