Sir George Gilbert Scott (July 13, 1811 – March 27, 1878) was one of the country’s most preeminent Victorian architects. In 1846 he designed the Church of St John the Evangelist Church, Wembley, which was commissioned by wealthy sisters and local philanthropists Anne and Frances Copland. The pair had inherited their father’s estate three years earlier, on which they built Sudbury Lodge and they offered land nearby for a church to serve the southern part of Harrow parish. Their generous offer which included paying for all the costs was only reluctantly accepted by locals who wanted it built on Wembley Hill. The result was the Grade II listed church in Crawford Avenue. Gilbert Scott designed many other buildings around Harrow including the Vaughan Library and redesigned Harrow School’s old chapel. He went on to design many other great London buildings including the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Elsewhere he was the architect behind St Mary’s Cathedral, Glasgow, the main building of the University of Glasgow, St Mary’s Cathedral in Edinburgh and King’s College Chapel, London.
97 total views, 1 views today