After the public house the George Inn, which stood on the corner with George Lane at 1 Rushey Green. The earliest reference to the inn was in 1588 when the original property, that stood on the west side of green, was leased by Peter Manning, of Downe, Kent to Humphrey Streete, a citizen and merchant tailor or London. Streete left a rent charge of 20s a year to the poor of Lewisham on the property. Some time in the 18th century the George Inn was moved to the corner of George Lane. The Proceedings of the Lewisham Antiquarian Society in 1908 explained the origin of the pub’s name: “There formerly existed in the parish church a Guild of our Lady and St. George, and this house may have been originally connected therewith.” In 2008 the pub was closed and boarded and not long afterwards a fire destroyed parts of it. It was demolished in 2010 and the site developed for housing.
18 total views, 1 views today