Gatwick Racecourse was a racecourse in England, in Surrey. It was in use from 1891 to 1940 when it was closed at the start of the Second World War. The land is now part of London Gatwick Airport. The name derives from the Old English words gāt meaning goat and wīc dairy farm. This is one of a cluster of roads that were built by the council to form the 548 property Racecourse estate which was laid out in the 1930s on what had been agricultural land belonging to Hacton Farm. The Second World War interrupted building, which was continued with the return of peace in the 1940s.
17 total views, 1 views today