Laid out in the 9thCentury to lead up from the river and hythe – an Old English word meaning a landing place – to the Cheapside markets. Shipments of imported garlic arrived here in the Middle Ages, and the area became known as Garlickhythe, recorded in 1281. At the bottom of the hill, there was once a bustling garlic market. The hill originally formed part of Corveyserestrate (Cordwiner Street) and didn’t become Garlyk hill until sometime early in the 16thCentury. The church at the bottom of the hill is still called St James Garlickhythe.
120 total views, 1 views today