Named after the writer James Hain Friswell (May 8, 1825 – March 12, 1878) and his daughter Jane, also an author, who lived on this site. Friswell, an essayist and novelist, began writing in the 1850s for, among others, Chambers’s Journal, The Spectator and the London Review. His first successful works were Houses With The Fronts Off, brought out in 1854, and Twelve Inside And One Out. During his life he worked to reform cheap literature for boys, and his efforts were successful in repressing the circulation of some of the most notorious of the penny publications. He died at his residence, Fair Home, Bexleyheath.
219 total views, 1 views today