This was the site of an ordinary, these were cheap eating places usually with a fixed price, which was used by the local French community in the latter part of the 17thCentury. It is claimed that this was the courtyard to the French Ambassador who, sympathetic to the Huguenot exiles, allowed coffee and pastries to be sold here. Prior to 1616 the Ambassador of France built his official residence here. At that time Ambassadors were at the Court of King James at the Tower of London which was later moved to St James’s Palace. In the 18thCentury the house ceased to be the Ambassador’s residence and has been used as a club, small apartment block or offices. In 2009 the property was refurbished for use by Lloyds Club.
22 total views, 1 views today