The name comes from Foxley Wood which once covered a large swathe of the local area. It was first mentioned in 1279 as Foxele from the Old English meaning a wood or clearing inhabited by foxes. By 1431 it was being written as Foxle and a little over a century later as Great Foxley and Lyttle Foxley. Foxley Lane itself was one of the first roads developed by the Webb family estate in 1888.
122 total views, 1 views today