Named after the Worshipful Company of Founders, whose hall was previously based here. Founders were workers in brass and brass alloys or tinplate known as Iatten or laton, producing small cast articles such as candlesticks and pots and pans. Their workshops were situated in and around Lothbury. The earliest surviving evidence relating to the Guild of Founders is a petition in Norman French which it made in 1365 to the Lord Mayor and Aldermen for its Ordinances to be enrolled at Guildhall, which was granted. From 1508 to 1987 their parish church was St. Margaret Lothbury. Before that time, the Founders were associated with the church of St. Lawrence Jewry.
86 total views, 1 views today