This road, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its name to the former Hainault Forest, one of the remaining sections of the former Forest of Essex. The woodland became a favourite hunting ground of Tudors and Stuarts, both for pleasure and profit. The types of huntsmen, their weapons and their related crafts feature in local street names, including this one a Fletcher, was a specialist in making the arrows. This street was laid out during the 20thCentury on former woodland which after the deforestation of Hainault in 1851 converted to farmland, before its development for housing.
16 total views, 1 views today