As the name suggests it was here that fishmongers were based and sold their wares. It follows the line to the old London Bridge and is close to the former Billingsgate fish market. It features on Ralph Agas’s woodcut map of London from 1561 as New Fyshe Streate, the fishmongers having settled here in the 13thCentury having previously been based around Queenhithe to the west. By 1568 it was recorded as Fysshstretehyll and Fishestreete Hill in 1633.
22 total views, 1 views today