Before 1879 this was Finsbury Place. This was originally a promenade laid out over the marshy Moorfields just outside of the City gates. In 1720 John Strype described it as a “new row of houses not yet named”. The name Finsbury is first recorded as Vinisbir in 1231 meaning the manor of a man called Finn. By 1254 it was spelt Finesbury, Fynesbury by 1294 and Fynnesbury in 1535. It was partially renumbered in 1909.
31 total views, 1 views today