A corruption of a family name Fink. It is either Aelfwin Fink, also spelt Ailwin Finnk, a moneychanger who lived in Finkeslane, the original name of this street, in about 1165. Or after James Fink, a relative who lived on this street between 1231 and 1245. It has been variously spelled Fynkeslane in 1275 and Fyncheslane in 1376. It predates Robert Finch, a 13thCentury benefactor of the St Benet Fink Church. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and its replacement demolished in the 1840s.
356 total views, 2 views today