Named after a local carpenter Stephen Fann whose will in 1613 noted that he had property in the precinct of Goswelstrete. The road has undergone many changes and been much extended in the years since. Originally running only from Goswell Street to Viscount Street it became part of the old Bridgewater Gardens, and called Fan’s Alley circa 1746. By the end of the 18thCentury, it was Fan Street and, off it was Fan Court. It only became one continuous street in 1878 to include Bridgewater Gardens and replaced Cupid Alley to extend across to Golden Lane. The houses and premises were renumbered by the Metropolitan Board of Works at this time.