Previously Exmouth Street. This commemorates Admiral Edward Pellew, 1st Viscount Exmouth (April 19, 1757 – January 23, 1833), hero of the fleet. The road itself was named after the Exmouth Arms pub which itself was named in honour of the celebrated naval officer. Shortly before the pub was named, Exmouth had led an Anglo-Dutch fleet against the Barbary states, who were holding 1,200 Christians as slaves. His bombardment of Algiers in 1816 forced the pirates to surrender their captives and secured Pellow’s already formidable reputation with the public. A hot-head from Cornwall he had already won praise and promotion for his action at the Battle of Valcour Island during the American War of Independence, when on October 11, 1776 he saved HMS Carleton from destruction or capture. This road was laid out on what was formerly Spa Fields. It was renumbered in 1877 and up until 1818 was part of Braynes Row, dating from 1765 and Spa Place.
125 total views, 1 views today