Named after Everard Hambro, a banker who from 1880 lived at Hayes Place, a former house on whose estate the road was later built. Following his death in 1925 his son Eric decided to dispose of the estate for building, although the need for an improved infrastructure for this rural area meant delays. It was eventually developed as the Hayes Place Estate by Henry Boot, a Sheffield-based company. Roads such as Chatham Avenue and Hambro Avenue were named after figures associated with the house’s history. The property survived until 1933.
180 total views, 1 views today