Named after the now long-forgotten Essoldo, which was once the largest independent, and third largest, cinema chain in the UK. It was founded in 1930 by Solomon Sheckman as SS Blyth Kinemas, in Newcastle. The company was very much a family concern and the name Essoldo came from the first names of his wife, Esther, himself, Solomon and his daughter, Dorothy. After his death in the late 1960s, the circuit was controlled by his brother Captain Mark Sheckman. Like most Essoldo cinemas it took the company name when it was bought out. It was originally called the Plaza. When it closed in the 1970s, having outlived the nearby Herga and Odeon on the High Road, it was replaced with a supermarket and betting shop.
177 total views, 1 views today