Directional, the main road to Enfield. The area probably gets its name from an Anglo-Saxon landowner or farmer called Ēana who lived near here. It means Ēana’s open clearing in an area where the trees had been removed, feld in Old English. This area was once extensive woodland. Alternatively it may be from the word ēan which translates as lamb, so it may have been where lambs were reared. It was first recorded in the Domesday survey of 1086 as Enefelde and later as Einefeld in 1214, and Enfeld in 1293. In 1806 it was known as East Barnet Road and retained the name until 1932 when the present name was applied. The road was also sometimes known as Chase Road.
84 total views, 1 views today