Named after the bishops of Ely. In 1290 John de Kirkeby, the incumbent bishop, bequeathed his Holborn property, Ely House, to his see, the area of his ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The palace was famed for its extensive gardens and vineyards which stretched from Leather Lane to the River Fleet. The house survived until 1772 when it was demolished and Ely Place developed over it, place in this instance meaning a dwelling.
110 total views, 1 views today