Named after the large Georgian property built in 1771 for Silvanus Grove, a successful Quaker merchant, to the designs of Joel Johnson, a respected local architect. It was originally called Grove House. The estate did not stay in tact for long. By 1856 the railway came through the area separating the house from the estate, which was later laid out as a public park, Elmhurst Gardens. Then, in 1926, the original Southend Road, cut off another section. The Victorian gardener’s cottage survives today, isolated in Elmhurst Drive.
186 total views, 1 views today