Edna Davy was a mother-of-six, one of whom was Arthur C Pain who developed the plots of land in this area bought by his father Edward, a Somerset solicitor turned London speculator. Edward, who married Edna in 1851, had bought the land from the then Earl Spencer when he sold parts of his extensive estate. The land had originally been gifted to Westminster Abbey by William the Conquerer but was given to the St John family by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in about 1540. At the end of the 18thCentury it passed into the hands of the Spencer family. The road was laid out sometime around 1876 and is one of several in the area named after Pain family members.
14 total views, 1 views today