Named after a former house of the Brothers of Penitence or Bonhommes, an Augustinian order, in Wiltshire. The priory was founded by William Edington, the bishop of Winchester, in 1351 in his home village of Edington. The priory church was consecrated in 1361 and closed down during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. By 1541 most of its estates were obtained by Sir Thomas Seymour. This road and many others in the surrounding area are named after former religious houses in a reference to Lesnes Abbey, which gave Abbey Wood its name.
140 total views, 1 views today