Leads on to Eastcote Lane. The name goes back to 1248 when it was first recorded as Est-cotte, meaning the eastern refuge. It would appear that from this one cottage a hamlet built up around it from which this street takes its name. Another explanation may be that Eastcote was originally recorded as Ascot, one of the three medieval tithings of the parish of Ruislip, along with Westcot and Norwood. Norwood, in the north of the parish, became Northwood; Westcot, in the west became Westcote (the main Ruislip village), and Ascot, in the east, became what is now Eastcote.
24 total views, 1 views today