This road used to lead to Ferry Street and then on to the old horse ferry that crossed over to the south side of the River Thames. The service was started sometime in the 17thCentury when it was called Potter’s Ferry. Originally only for foot passengers by 1812 the horse ferry was established. It was a lucrative route and in the 1880s the Greenwich Ferry Company developed a system that would enable large amounts of cargo to be transferred across the river. However within a few years the route was obsolete due to the building of the Blackwall, Rotherhithe and Greenwich Tunnels.
149 total views, 1 views today