Previously spelt Duke’s Place. Named after Thomas Howard (March 10, 1536 – June 2, 1572), 4th Duke of Norfolk, who inherited a house near here from his father-in-law Sir Thomas Audley. Sir Thomas was Henry VIII’s Lord Chancellor who was gifted the land following the closure of Holy Trinity Christ Church priory during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Duke was beheaded in 1572 after he was discovered to be plotting to put Mary, Queen of Scots, on the throne. The lavish property that he had built on the site was later sold to the City Corporation and subsequently demolished.
122 total views, 1 views today