Charles James Dingley, who proposed a link road to reduce journey times between the new Pentonville Road and Moorgate in 1756. City Road was opened in June 1761, only four months after worked started, since the new road followed many existing routes. The project transformed journey times cutting a mile off the journey between Moorgate and Islington village. It was considered the finest road around London “with a footpath on each side”. In a rare display of modesty, for the time, Dingley refused to have the road named after him. In 1876, it was Harcourt Place. Renumbered in 1880, it appears as York Road in 1881. It was given its present name as a sign of gratitude to its projector in 1910.