Like Denmark Hill this is likely named after Prince George of Denmark (April 2, 1653 – October 28, 1708), Queen Anne’s Consort, who used to hunt in these parts. A French merchant banker called Sir Hughes Minet acquired the land in 1770 and started building on it. The road itself pre-dates the laying out of his estate but the houses date from 1870. Prior to its development the land had been market gardens famous for its strawberries and rhubarb, and before that it had been part of the ancient manor of Milkwell which belonged to the Hospital of St Thomas in Southwark.
92 total views, 1 views today