Believed to be the spot where Queen Anne’s consort, Prince George of Denmark (April 2, 1653 – October 28, 1708) used to hunt. This well-established route appears unnamed on John Rocque’s 1741 map of Camberwell. At that time the area was called Dulwich Hill and at some point in its early history, this street was known as Dulwich Road. It was renamed sometime after the royal nuptials in 1683. The springs and wells which flanked the slopes of Denmark Hill had long made the area popular with resorting Londoners, but it wasn’t until the mid-18thCentury, following the expanse of the metropolis, that building started in earnest. Though even after the coming of the railway in 1865, the flavour of development remained large, detached villas, as opposed to the rows and rows of neat terraces which sprang up in other parts of the district. Today, this is part of the A215 between Elephant and Castle and Shirley.
7 total views, 1 views today