Named after the founder of Lesnes Abbey, Richard De Luci (1089 – July 14, 1179), the joint Chief Justiciar of England under Henry II. It has been suggested that De Luci founded the abbey in penance for his role in the murder of Thomas Becket. When he stepped down from office he retired to the Augustinian Abbey where he died. An anglicised version of his name is found in a street name in Belvedere SE2.
217 total views, 1 views today