Possibly named after local benefactor George Dacre, who in 1855 left the rents from land and property in Church Street to the vicar and churchwardens of All Saints’, West Ham. When the leases expired, the properties were used as almshouses and afterwards the rents and the money invested was used to pay pensions to poor married couples who were regular church-goers and had lived in West Ham for at least two years. In 1922 the property was sold for £630. In 1964, when the income of the charity was £86, four pensioners each received £1 a month.
48 total views, 1 views today