An old road shown on the Chapman and Andre map of 1777. At one time it was called Cut-through Lane because it ran between High Road Leyton and High Road Leytonstone. This, in turn, became corrupted to Cut-throat Lane (as shown on an Ordnance Survey map of the 1860s). There was a field at the eastern end called Crown Field, probably because it had belonged to the Crown at some time. An Ordnance Survey map of the 1860s shows Crownfield Place on the west side of Leytonstone High Road south of what later became Crownfield Road. The south side of the western end of Crownfield Road was in West Ham, not the Wanstead Slip. Developed as part of the Cann Hall estate by the Manby-Colegrave family (or at least numbers 65 to 101 were). It became residential about 1881.
87 total views, 1 views today