Like several nearby streets this takes its name from a town of the Boer War, in this case Cradock, Eastern Cape. In late January 1902, following months of minor skirmishes between the Boer commando and the town’s militia, a patrol of loyal British troops was ambushed by 200 of the rebels. More than 50 men were captured and, as was usual at the time, stripped of their uniforms, weapons and supplies. They were then released. The first houses were occupied in 1909. See also Ladysmith Road, Kimberley Gardens and Mafeking Road.
89 total views, 1 views today