A covert is a Middle English word and means a thicket in which game can hide, there are several streets in the area named after the particular habitations of forest dwelling animals. This road, like many others in the surrounding area, owes its names to its connection with the nearby Hainault Forest, one of the remaining sections of the former Forest of Essex. The woodland became a favourite hunting ground of Tudors and Stuarts. Developers named streets in this area after the types of vegetation, fauna and activities that were connected with woodland. This road, part of the Hainault Estate, was developed on woodland in the early part of the 20thCentury, following the opening of Hainault Station in 1903. The line was designed to stimulate suburban growth but was closed on October 1, 1908 due to a lack of custom and did not reopen until March 2, 1930.
50 total views, 1 views today