Once in deep countryside this was a rural lane leading from the main village of Eltham to Chapel Farm, with fields and woods on either side. On May 23, 1877, The Times reported that The Metropolitan Board of Works had resolved that: The line of the thoroughfare at Eltham (extending from South Eastern Railway to Court Yard) known by the several names of Chapel Farm Lane, Temple Lane and Station Road will be renamed Eltham Court Road.” The full name was never used however and the reference to Eltham Court, the medieval palace that later became a favourite of the Tudors, was shortened to simply Court Road. The station, today’s Mottingham, was the original Eltham station. In 1895 Eltham Well Hall was opened which was followed 13 years later by Eltham Park. In 1985 both were closed and replaced by today’s Eltham station.
256 total views, 1 views today