A reference to Copenhagen House which was so-called because it was home to the Danish Ambassador in 1665. It was first recorded as Coopen Hagen in 1680. The street itself was laid out sometime around 1826 and named by an Order of 1862, which abolished such subsidiary names as Copenhagen Street West, Lower Copenhagen Street, Upper Copenhagen Street, Denmark Terrace, Great William Street, William Street and Clayton Place. By the late 18thCentury Copenhagen Fields became a popular venue for radical demonstrations. The house was demolished in 1852, when the market for live animals transferred here from Smithfield.
26 total views, 1 views today