A reference to the local area of Coombe, which comes from the Old English word cumbe meaning a broad valley. It was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Cumbe and by 1260 as Cumbe Nevill after the de Nevill family who were lords of the manor. Coombe Warren was a wild woodland on the ridge known as Coombe Hill. It was used for hunting and public fairs. The Coombe Wood Highwayman, Jerry Abershaw, frequented the area in the late 1700s. Being based at the Bald Face Stag pub, he sheltered in the woods.
68 total views, 1 views today